Place Holder Main Image_4 copy.jpg

1950s

IMG_0246.jpeg
IMG_0244.jpeg

A Handshake and a Promise

By the early 1950s, annual sales for Golden State had reached $2 million. The company acquired Cheney Meat Company and began serving local drive-ins and hamburger stands, as it enthusiastically sought  business  with the McDonald’s brothers in San Bernardino. Later that decade, after much perseverance, GSF finally earned the QSR pioneer’s meat business for selected restaurants later that decade. After new McDonald’s leader Ray Kroc began franchising restaurants in 1955, GSF eventually broadened its beef patties production to service McDonald’s locations throughout Southern California and later became its primary beef supplier – all on a handshake and a promise.

<< Back